About Drowning Prevention Week
The annual Drowning Prevention Week campaign will run between 15 – 25 June 2018. The campaign, created by the Royal Life Saving Society UK (RLSS UK) and this year run in partnership with the RNLI and Swim England, aims to reduce the number of drowning and near-drowning incidences that occur in the UK every year, by showing people how to be safe and have fun near water. The campaign encourages schools, clubs, leisure centres and communities, to promote water safety education through events, lessons, games and activities, in a bid to make people more aware of the dangers of water.
- Increase the number of children receiving water safety education
- Reduce the number of drowning incidences
- Promote local and national drowning prevention projects and initiatives
The aim of DPW is to get people involved in:
Promoting water safety to children and young people
There is a great range of activities available for schools and youth groups, ranging from classroom based workshops to outdoor PE and orientation sessions. All are available to download FREE from the DPW website.
All resources are available from www.watersafetyeducation.org.
Family Fun and the Lifeguard Challenge Leisure centres and swimming pools around the country are encouraged to provide nine days of ‘family fun, challenges and fundraising’ using the RLSS UK’s leisure resources. Suggested activities include:
- The Rookie Lifeguard Big Weekend – Have a go at the Rookie Lifeguard skills
- Free ‘Save a Life’ Workshops – Learn how to perform CPR
- The Lifeguard Challenge – How fast can you tow a manikin?
- Free Swim Friday – Fun in the pool for all the family
- Summer Holiday Safety Session – All you’ve ever wanted to know about keeping your family safe on holiday
- Pool to Pond Taster Session – Find out how you can swim in open water safety
- Drowning is one of the leading causes of accidental death in children, in the UK
- Over 700 people drown in the UK and Ireland every year – equivalent to one person drowning every 20 hours
- Hundreds more have near-drowning experiences, sometimes suffering life-changing injuries
How can I support the Campaign?
You can support Drowning Prevention Week by visiting www.watersafetyeducation.org and download all the free resources to help teach water safety.
You can also support the campaign on social media and by putting our PR in your local area. Click the tabs below to find out more!
Drowning Prevention Week
- Drowning Prevention Week is happening between 15 – 25 June 2018 and we are proud to be supporting RLSS UK, RNLI and Swim England!. #STOPDROWNING #DPW. To find out more visit www.watersafetyeducation.org
- Over 700 people drown in the UK and Ireland every year and many more suffer injury, some life-changing, through near-drowning experiences. We are supporting Drowning Prevention Week between the 15 – 25 June 2018. #STOPDROWNING #DPW. To find out how you can get involved visit – www.watersafetyeducation.org
- We are supporting Drowning Prevention Week between the 15 – 25 June 2018 #STOPDROWNING #DPW. For more information visit – www.watersafetyeducation.org
- Over 700 people drown in the UK and Ireland every year and many more suffer injury, some life-changing, through near-drowning experiences. Keep your family safe this summer with the RLSS UK’s summer water safety messages bit.ly/SummerWaterSafety #STOPDROWNING
- Drowning is a leading cause of child accidental death. Stay safe with RLSS UK summer tips bit.ly/SummerWaterSafety #STOPDROWNING
To download the 2018 PR Template for Drowning Prevention Week, click the button below.
A partnership with