Brighton and Hove
RLSS UK, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, HM Coastguard, Resolve Security (Beach Patrol), Sussex Police Business Crime Reduction Partnership (Night Safe), Brighton and Hove Council (Seafront Office), RNLI, Brighton Pier, Brighton Marina, Universities
- Increase awareness of the risks of entering of water after consuming alcohol
- Intervention where it is needed to prevent incidents occurring – talk to people that were entering the water
- To further strengthen collaborative working and build future opportunities to work together to reduce drowning’s
- Those likely to engage in water based activity whilst intoxicated
- Ages 17 – 69
- Focus on males
What did it look like
The organisations supported RLSS UK’s Don’t Drink and Drown campaign in a bid to bring all partners together to deliver a joint message and keep festive drinkers safe during December 2016.
All partners worked together to hold a number of different awareness events:
- Information handouts in Brighton City Centre, outside Churchill Square
- Activity in the bars and clubs of West Street and the Seafront in Brighton. Each venue had Don’t Drink and Drown posters on that back of all bathroom doors.
- All bar staff from each venue wore lanyards and had wristbands to reiterate the messages.
- Volunteers walked around the bars and clubs to talk to drinkers and warn then of the risks of going near water after consuming alcohol.
- Drinkers were encouraged to take selfies to share the messages further on social media.
- The management from every venue and resolve security signed the pledge to support the campaign.
- Volunteers continued to promote water safety messaging on Brighton Pier at the Christmas Markets throughout December. This enabled full interaction and discussion with members of the public.
- Universities displayed posters on campus, played the Don’t Drink and Drown film and shared information on social media throughout the campaign.
- Engagement resource spend – £1,535.80
- Physical Reach – 7,800 people
- Twitter Reach – 78,345
- Facebook Reach – 78,348
- PR Reach – 21,305,840