National Speed Lifesaving Championship 2018
This is the new home of the information for #Speeds2018
Date: 3rd and 4th March 2018
Venue: Tollcross International Swimming Centre, 350 Wellshot Road, Glasgow, G32 7QR
For all the event information please click the below tabs. If you have any other questions, please email email@example.com
Rules and entry information published.
Venue for 2018 announced
In 2018 we head to Scotland and the venue of the 2014 Commonwealth Games, Tollcross International Swimming Centre. The first weekend in March (3rd and 4th March 2018) is the date set for the 2018 championships (#Speeds18).
“I am excited to see our premier Speed event taken to Scotland and anticipate a wonderful weekend in Glasgow in 2018”. Chris Harper – RLSS UK Management Board – Champion for Sport
“We are thrilled that the National Speed Lifesaving Championships will be hosted for the first time in Scotland in 2018. This should give team mangers and athletes the time required to plan for the new venue. Both venues selected cater for the size and scale of the championship, while showcasing Lifesaving Sport. I am looking forward to returning to Ponds Forge and starting to work with the Glasgow Life team at Tollcross”. Elouise Greenwood – Participation Development Manager.
The Tollcross International Swimming Centre is located approximately 3.3 miles to the east of Glasgow’s city centre, on the north bank of the River Clyde. Situated next to Tollcross Park, known for its world class rose garden.
Tollcross International Swimming Centre
350 Wellshot Road
Tollcross International Swimming Centre, 350 Wellshot Road, Glasgow, G32 7QR
Approximately 3.5 miles (64 minutes’ walk) from George Square (Glasgow city centre)
Gym & Classes
Swimming pool changing area mixed with individual changing cubicles
Lockers take 20ps
Several EV charging points
Free car parking for cars and coaches.
There is a café that will be open for delegations and spectators to purchase refreshments and food from, teams will have the opportunity to order lunches in advance for pick up on the day.
In the case of emergency please contact centre staff, local hospitals – Shettleston Day Hospital or Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
Family Members and Supporters
We welcome all family members and supporters to attend the event. Programmes will be available on the door.
From Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station either:
Bus No 240. Glasgow to Carluke or Overtown or Pather
Bus No 255. Glasgow via Bothwell – Hamilton
One or other goes roughly every 10mins it’s a 35min journey to Tollcross: ask for the Tollcross Road / Wellshot Road Stop.
Check the website for ticket information and deals;
(an adult day fare is £4.50 which allows all day travel throughout the city)
From Tollcross into Glasgow City Centre either:
Bus No. 240, 255 (Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station)
Bus No. 61 (Glasgow Central Train Station)
One or other goes roughly every 10 mins, will take 20-35mins
Tollcross International Swimming Centre – Accommodation
The Fullarton Park Hotel – 0.5miles
The Burnside Hotel – 2.2 miles
Premier Inn – Glasgow (Cambuslang/M74, J2A)
Premier Inn – Glasgow East
Amulree Street 29 Apartment – Three bed apartment – 0.5miles
No.17 Serviced Apartment – Two bed apartment – 0.5miles
Bellway Commonwealth Apartment – Two bed apartment – 0.9miles
Kumar Suites Hanson Park Apartment – Two bed apartments – 2.2miles
Premier Inn – Glasgow City Centre (George Square)
Premier Inn – Glasgow City Centre South
Premier Inn – Glasgow City Centre (Argyle Street)
Premier Inn – Glasgow City Centre Buchanan Galleries
Premier Inn – Glasgow City Centre (Charing Cross)
Euro Hostel Glasgow 2-star hotel 3.2miles
Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74, Jct 5
Alona Hotel Strathclyde Country Park
Days Inn Hamilton Hamilton Motorway Services, M74
For more information on the venue please visit – https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/tollcross-international-swimming-centre-p258431
This is a provisional programme
50m Manikin Carry
Pool Lifesaver Relay – New Event
4 x 50m Obstacle Relay
10m Line Throw
12.5m Line Throw
Line Throw Relay
100m Manikin Carry
4 x 25m Manikin Relay
100m Manikin Tow
The College of Referees is pleased to present the rules for the National Speed Lifesaving Championship 2018.
- New team event introduced – Pool Lifesaver Relay
- Line Throw Relay: Time limit reduced to two minutes for all age groups
- Manikins: Manikin rules incorporate the guidance from ILS
- 12 to 14 Years Manikin Rescue Medley: Competitors must touch the manikin before taking a breath
- Masters 50 Plus: The 100m Obstacle Race is open to all masters 55 or over
The addition of the new event will mean alternations to the normal programme. The revised programme will be published shortly.
If you have any technical queries about these rules please contact the College of Referees firstname.lastname@example.org
RLSS UK are delighted to announce the National Speed Championships 2018 will see the first Championship in Scotland.
For the latest information follow #Speeds2018
Entries Open: Monday 2nd October 2017 | Entries Close: Monday 15th January 2018
- Current Survive & Save Sport Award (bronze, silver or gold)
- Individual RLSS UK Membership
To check if your membership and award status are valid check on MyPage or MyApp*.
All entries will be invoiced during the month of January and must be paid in full prior to the championships.
It will be a requirement that each participating club provides the services of a volunteer to act as a timekeeper for the duration of the championship and a manikin. It is strongly advised that volunteers acting as timekeepers have achieved the RLSS UK Timekeeper Award [http://rlsscourses.org.uk%20/].
Any questions, contact us via email – email@example.com
*MyPage membership services:
RLSS UK members MyPage mobile app providing them with the ability to show all of their current qualifications and membership on their mobile devices (with the option to upload photo ID via MyPage). The RLSS UK MyApp is available via Android [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aptsolutions.rlssmembercard&hl=en_GB] and Apple [https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rlssuk-myapp/id1126824362?mt=8] stores.
Click here for MyPage [https://mypage.rlss.org.uk/] and MyPage Frequently Asked Questions [https://mypage.rlss.org.uk/login-faqs ] (including problems logging in’).
Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re still here to take calls and provide support over the phone, call RLSS UK Membership Services on 0300 3230 096.
Officials & Volunteers
Officials and volunteers are asked to apply for the National Speed Lifesaving Championships 2018, at Tollcross International Swimming Centre, Glasgow.
- 2nd March 8:00pm (TBC) – Referees, Event Directors and Equipment Managers
- 3rd March 7:30am (TBC) – Officials Room – All Officials
- 4th March 7:30am (TBC) – Officials Room – All Officials
Officials will be required to wear blue trousers/shorts/skirt with a current RLSS UK Officials shirt
Please could you all ensure you have provided Stuart Haynes [StuartHaynes@rlss.org.uk] with any dietary requirements by Friday 10 February so we can accommodate your needs.
Premier Inn Glasgow City Centre South, 80 Ballater Street, Glasgow, G5 0TW
If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us email@example.com.
RLSS UK National Speed Championships 2018 – Rules
- Referee or Deputy Referee (Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday) (FW): To ensure the smooth running of the competition and that all competitors can compete on a fair and equal level. This will involve working with officials, volunteers, team managers and competitors.
- Technical Official (Friday evening (optional), Saturday and Sunday) (FW): Several roles are available for suitably qualified officials – Event Director, Starter, Finish Judge, Lane Judge, Turn Judge, Competitor Liaison.
- Underwater Official (Saturday and Sunday) (FW): Join the underwater team to ensure the smooth running of the event. This will involve scuba diving those individuals who are PADI or BSAC qualified are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Timekeeper (Various Sessions) (S): Be part of the officiating team, accurately capturing and recording times achieved by competitors.
- Perry Buoy Costume (Various Sessions) (s): Perry Buoy is the public cuddly face of the RLSS UK. Perry Buoy will be making an appearance at different stages throughout the competition and will be taking a visit into the town centre. This role will involve dressing up as Perry Buoy and interacting with members of the public and children. A reasonable level of fitness is required as the costume is slightly heavy.
- Perry Buoy Support (Various Sessions) (s): Escort Perry Buoy safely around the venue and be responsible for taking donations made to the charity during the walk.
- Raffle Ticket Seller (Various Sessions) (s): Selling raffle tickets on behalf of the RLSS UK National Speed Lifesaving raffle. All proceeds going towards drowning prevention.
- Bucket Collector (Various Sessions) (s): We need enthusiastic and polite people who can communicate key drowning prevention messages to members of the general public whilst motivating them to donate to the charity. Bucket collections are an essential way of raising money for the RLSS UK.
- Runners (Various Sessions) (s): Support event team to ensure the smooth running of the competition. This will involve working with officials, competitors and team mangers. It will also involve hosting duties, moving equipment and general event support.
- Exhibition Stands (Various Sessions) (s): Work with the event team to man the exhibition stands. This will involve talking to members of the public, competitors and spectators, dealing with enquires, taking donations, selling programmes and raffle tickets.
- Social Media Support (Various Sessions) (s): Be part of the RLSS UK Communications Team to support social media activities throughout the event and taking photos.
- Programme Sales (Various Sessions) (s): Work with the event team to welcome competitors, team managers, spectators and members of the public, whilst selling programmes.
- Underwater Team (Various Sessions) (s): Work with the Underwater Diving Team to deliver a successful and smooth event. This will include swimming and moving equipment.
Information about Expenses
Food and Refreshments
Session positions (S):
Volunteers for morning or afternoon sessions will receive refreshments distributed throughout the competition. Volunteers for both morning and afternoon sessions will receive refreshments and lunch.
Full weekend positions (FW):
Volunteers for full weekend positions will receive all meals and refreshments over the two days. Meals included:
- Saturday: Breakfast provided at the hotel and Lunch provided at the venue
- Sunday: Breakfast provided at the hotel and Lunch provided at the venue.
Dinner on Friday, Saturday and Sunday is to be purchased and claimed via expenses.
Refreshments including, snacks and hot and cold drinks, will be available in the officials’ room at the competition venue. Only volunteers working in the pool (Underwater Volunteers) will be will be permitted to have hot drinks on the poolside.
Shared twin room accommodation will be provided for all full weekend volunteers at this event.
Once places in the event team have been confirmed, you will be asked to indicate who you would be happy to share a hotel room with. If you are not able to share a room, please contact us and we will arrange for a single room to be booked.
If you would like to book your own accommodation, you will be able to claim up to £50 expenses from RLSS UK per night (including breakfast).
Apply for Officials
Apply for the Volunteers
News / Information
Entry details and announcements will be posted here for team managers
To support Team Managers in the run up to the championships please find below a list of this to think about.
When, Where, Who, Risk Assessment
Communications with parents/athletes
Pick up times and meeting times
Destination and venue
Kit and equipment
Emergency procedures – home contacts
Media release & photography forms
Code of conduct
Catering, special diets, allergies, water provision
Suitability for groups – accessibility
Journey time and stopping
Suitability and accessibility
Private cars, driver checks, insurance and seatbelts
Supervision and Staffing
Number of staff and athletes
Who: male, female and specialists
First aid provision
Specific medical details and medication
Liability – accidents
For the trip
Payment schedule – deposit, stages and payment
Check – rooms, meal times, phones, valuables
Information on medication
Arrange group meeting(s)
Timetable for everyone
Confirm procedures with staff
Confirm athletes known how to contact the Team Manager
Rules, codes of conduct
Event Shirt Competition
As Speeds moves to Glasgow for the first time RLSS UK, supported by RLSS Direct, we’re looking for a new and inspiring design to grace Speeds 2018. Here’s your chance to show us your creative talent and submit an original design for the event shirt.
To enter simply e-mail your design to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Scottish committee supporting the delivery of the event will select the final design.
The first place winner will receive a T-shirt with the winning design and the opportunity to see 100s of Lifesavers wearing their design.
- The design must be your own original, unpublished work and must not include any third-party logos or copyrighted material; by entering the competition, you agree that your submission is your own work (RLSS UK Logo can be used)
- Design should be one that appeals to the majority of the lifesaver community
- Design may include line art, text, and images
- Your design is for the front of the T-shirt (back of polo shirt) and may encompass an area up to 10″ x 10″ (inches)
- Design may use a maximum of three colours
- We reserve the right to make changes such is image size, ink or t-shirt colour before printing
- By submitting your design, you grant permission for your design to be used by RLSS UK and RLSS Direct including, but not limited to, the event shirts, the websites, the online store, and future marketing materials
- The RLSS UK reserves the right to the final decision
- The creator of the winning design will receive attribution and public recognition on the RLSS UK website!