To advise the RLSS UK Sport Governance Group (SGG), supporting the growth of Lifesaving Sport in the Open Water environment
This is a voluntary role with an anticipated timescale of 18 months to 2 years. The number of hours will vary depending on the stage of development. The successful candidate should expect to commit approximately 8-12 hours per month.
The members of SGG, The Performance Director, RLSS UK staff and volunteers. The Adviser reports to SGG.
The Royal Life Saving Society UK (RLSS UK) is a registered Charity based in Worcester. RLSS UK is the UK’s drowning prevention charity. Each year in the UK around 400 people die from accidental drowning. We seek to equip as many people as possible with lifesaving skills to help reduce the numbers of people losing their lives unnecessarily and to help reduce the numbers of life changing injuries incurred by near drowning incidents.
Lifesaving Sport was primarily developed to encourage lifesavers and lifeguards to maintain and improve the essential physical and mental skills needed to save lives in the aquatic environment. It has now grown into an international competitive swimming discipline
RLSS UK are seeking to engage an open water enthusiast/specialist, to develop sporting opportunities in Open Water that ultimately will lead to RLSS UK athletes better able to compete on a world stage.
The appointed volunteer will help SGG develop a plan for Open Water that supports the Lifesaving Sport Participant Pathway.
Requirements of the Role:
Help create a plan for Open Water in line with the RLSS UK Participant Development Pathway.
Assess the demand/opportunities for Open Water Sport then:
- Develop the people skills required to support the development of Open Water activity (Organisers, Officials, Coaches, Safety Teams)
- Co-ordinate/organise opportunities/events for RLSS UK athletes
- Advise on and promote relevant RLSS UK Awards as entry routes to participation in open water.
- Support delivery of the RLSS UK Participant Development Pathway (LSPDP).
In addition, the Open Water Adviser will be required to:
- Liaise with the SGG strand leaders to share best practice and align development plans
- Build relationships with RLSS UK stakeholders inside and outside the Society e.g. staff, volunteers
- Actively promote the Society’s aims and its work
- Work with RLSS UK Performance Director and elite coaching team to maintain best practice and integrate the LSPDP.
The SGG would particularly welcome applications from people with knowledge, skills and experience in the following areas:
• Organising Open Water events.
• Open Water Coaching, Officiating, Safety Management
• An understanding of Lifesaving Sport in the open water environment
• Links with associated/complimentary sports and activities
• Partnership Building and the ability to work successfully with staff and volunteers
The Sport Governance Group (SGG) will meet quarterly with Strand Leaders.
The Society holds an annual conference in July each year and there are other meetings and events that may require attendance.
The Open Water Sports Adviser will be reimbursed all out of pocket expenses incurred in fulfilling the role, in line with the RLSS UK expenses policy.
Applicants must apply in writing in the form of a CV to Teresa Myatt c/o RLSS UK, Redhill House, 227 London Road, Worcester, WR5 2JG or via email: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is: Monday 27th November 2017
Click here to download the Addendum 1 – 4 Strands of RLSS UK Lifesaving Sport Activity